Friday, October 22, 2010

TGIF Baby

I do not blog much about my profession, for a few reasons. Firstly, my job does not define me and I do not like to be defined by my job. It is a great job with decent pay, great hours, benefits, keeps me busy and is never boring, however...there are times I really, really hate my job. It is not anything I see myself doing for a long stretch of time, it is not my passion. I also don't like to put too much online, since, well obviously anyone can see it...and I don't need my words coming back to haunt me anytime soon.


Let me tell you another thing about my profession; my position makes me pretty much the second most hated person out there, right below the Government. I am an Insurance broker. What makes us so hated?? Well, people have no choice but to insure (in Canada at least). It is the law you must have insurance to drive a vehicle and to have a mortgage. The only time our clients call is to inquire about rate increases, or when they are involved in a claim and are high stress and upset. This makes for a magical work environment (sarcasm? Yes).


Don't get me wrong, I do like my job, I just don't think I can stretch that into love. What I find the hardest about my job is when things are out of my hands. Premiums, underwriting rules, legalities. All things that can have me explaining myself 20 times over and still having a client staring at me expecting me to "do" something. How many times do I have to say, "I'm sorry, there is nothing more we can do"? Then, the client proceeds to tell me in the many colourful words I hear daily, how crap insurance is, how bad the way insurance works is, and how I am personally robbing the people and making them live beyond their means. Thanks, have a great weekend too.

One day, we had a girl in for her first few days of training for reception and as a client was leaving he said to her "why not choose a more honorable profession, like prostitution?". Can you believe this?!? Because we are a customer service oriented company we can not swiftly turn around and tell this gentleman to go f*uck himself. No, we have to smile and say, "Have a great day!". The only joy we get is marking his file with our trademark "crap client" secret marking on the computer system so we know he's bad news when he comes in. OOooo, the satisfaction.

In all honesty, I think I find my job very frustrating at times because I do genuinely try my hardest to help all of my clients, regardless of what they believe or how horrible they have been to me in the past. My job is very thankless and if I didn't work with such great people, I'm not sure I would have lasted as long as I do. I will continue to go to work with a smile every day, and make sure my clients are getting the best coverage for as long as I am a broker. It pays the bills and keeps my horses fat n happy. I will continue to dream of the day when people start to realise that treating someone like crap really does get you nowhere, but bitter town.
Don't hate me because I'm an Insurance Broker.

2 comments:

  1. I've never hated an insurance broker. We are required to have auto insurance, and the bank requires homeowners insurance. Perhaps the systems are different between our two countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad to hear it...it's probably because you are decent percent with a brain and understand the values of insurance :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...