Sunday, January 22, 2012

Bittersweet Enter into House (Farm) Hunting

 
The dream...a slightly more posh scale.

  Possibly the happiest moment of 2012 (not that it's been here for long), was when it became realized that Jesse and I will be able to buy a farm.  I have been browsing the MLS for a long time, never thinking we were actually going to start into the actual process of house hunting.  I ended up finding a property that has everything we are looking for, and is very close to where we are living now.  A cute little house, a pool, a barn with 4 stalls, paddocks, a workshop, and a huge professionally installed outdoor ring.  It was in our price range and absolutely adorable.  We decided to check it out and after a couple of viewings, we put in an offer.




  I was so excited, our first offer on a home.  I was dreaming and picturing all the ways I would make it my home, and how much the horses would love their new barn and pastures.  Well, what they say is true about home buying.  Don't get excited until the keys are in your hand.  We exchanged offers over a week with the homeowners and when we finally came to a number we could both agree on, my realtor e-mailed me to tell me the homeowner had called her to say the decided to take their farm off the market. UGH!  What a monumental waste of time for all of us.


Dream barn <3


  So, we were pretty heartbroken over this change of events.  Hope is not lost though!  We are now on the official hunt for our own place.  We are into the fun part of looking at places, and discovering what we like, what will work, and what we definitely don't like.  Finding a farm is even harder than finding a house.  There are so few for sale in the area we are searching, and there are so many things that you need when you have horses.  Some houses have land with no barn, some have nice barns with houses that need too much work, some are just a bit too far for our daily commute, then there are ones that are perfect for you, but just don't work out for whatever reason (still bitter).




  I am learning a lot about this whole home buying process, and am thinking positive that our future farm is out there, waiting for us to come home.



13 comments:

  1. Im sorry to hear that the house fell through, thats very irritating that those people would waste your time like that. I hope you guys find something that is perfect for both of you!!
    Its only a matter of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness what a disappointment. Your farm is waiting out there for you
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up finding a property that has everything they are looking for, & is very close to where they live now.

    Association Management Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer! At least you're on the road to home ownership. The more you see, the more you'll know it when the right place comes around. Be patient - properties tend to go for sale in the spring once the snow is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in the middle of buying my first home right now and it's painfully true that it is emotionally exhausting. We didn't feel much of that pressure until we made an offer and the second we got home and the ink was dry we both just felt like a wreck until we finally heard back with a counter. We're just beyond that stage now, we've had the inspection and started financing, but jeepers, nothing anyone says makes you feel confident until you have the keys. People keep trying to congratulate me and I must seem odd for not being more enthusiastic. Good luck on your search! it's tough, but it will all work out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home buying can be such a rollercoaster... I'm sure your farm is out there waiting for you. Soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That broke my heart too... As I read your blog, I was so excited and happy for you... But, there is a saying that an even better one is just around the corner. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!

    I am hoping the spring will bring new opportunities but I am so not patient!

    I always thought this would be so much fun, I had no idea how stressful it can be wanting something so bad and not knowing whether you can have it or not. Lesson learned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Useful info. Thank you for sharing. Visit www.petsitting.com for your pet sitting needs.
    Dog sitter Miami

    ReplyDelete
  10. That barn is beautiful!

    I know when we were house hunting - there were many that we lost (cash buyers always win ugh) but the house we ended up getting is perfect for us and has a great yard for our dogs. Looking back this is the best one for us and I am sure that you are going to find the perfect place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, so sorry you lost that house. I'll keep my paws crossed that the perfect house will come your way when the time is right. :)

    Woofs & hugs, <3

    ~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. “Don't get excited until the keys are in your hand.” – Absolutely true! In my opinion, you cannot exactly call it your own until you have moved in and started with the decorations. I’m sorry for what happened. The owner must have a good reason why he decided to take it out of the market. Just put it this way, you can still look around for beautiful properties that will surely fit your criteria and budget. [Abdul Jackson ]

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’ve been on your situation before. I quickly assumed that the first house we hit upon will be our soon-to-be home, but there was a change of events in the end. Well, there are times that we go through such circumstances. You just really have to be patient and you’ll eventually attain the one you’re looking for. :) I hope that you already found the house that is right for you.

    Genny Stutesman

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...