Sunday, February 12, 2012

No Words For My Pain

 


  We lost our big guy Mikey today.  He was 25.  He lived a lot longer than expected, especially for being over 17.3 and having a long hard life on the show circuit.  He came to our family at 15, semi-retired to teach my dad the ropes in the jumper ring.  He was living out his days here, as Archie's best friend.  We aren't sure what happened, but he somehow broke his fetlock in his stall sometime this morning.  There were no signs of struggle.  His shavings were still neatly laid.  He has a tenancy to rest his foot at an extreme angle, and he may have just fallen asleep on it.  He is a huge horse with weak joints from years of doing the big jumpers.  He had to be euthanized shortly after my mom found him this morning.  I was out of town.  It breaks my heart that I wasn't here to say goodbye.


"Valentino" - Named after his heart marking.
  I love Mikey so much, it was very hard to go into the barn tonight with him not there.  He is the first and last face I see every night.  I hugged Archie and I could see in his eyes that he was lost, worried.  Mikey was Archies' whole world, I have never seen a horse love another horse so much.  It breaks my heart that he lost his best friend.   This is the sad reality of life.  We can't all live perfect lives and live forever, although sometimes we wish we could.  I will just look for peace knowing Mikey was one of the lucky ones, given a great home with lush pastures to retire in.  Not all horses are so lucky.




  I always love you, and miss you forever Mikey.  You brought joy and smiles to everyone you met.  You left people in awe of your substantial size, beauty, and gentle heart.  Thank you for being a part of our lives.  






20 comments:

  1. The pictures are gorgeous. So sorry for your loss! RIP, Mikey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. Hugs to you and Archie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry for your loss. Sending good thoughts for you and Archie. Sounds like Mikey had a great life with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you lost your friend. He lived a wonderful life with you and I hope you take comfort in that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your loss :( I hope you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry to hear about Mikey
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man I am so sorry! :( You are right, he was very lucky to have a great home and wonderful retirement! Hugs! Those are some great pictures to keep and remember him by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My condolences to you and your family. Mikey was a beautiful horse and very luck to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss. You're right, 25 is a great old age but it doesn't make loosing him any easier. Hugs for you, your family, and Archie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much everyone for all the kind words...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so so so sorry for your loss. I am sure he enjoyed retirement with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how sad, I'm so sorry for your loss :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. {{{{{{HUGS}}}}} There are no words... Mikey was a lucky boy to live with you... {{{{{HUGS}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no, I am so sorry to read about your loss.
    I hope that your heart and Archie's heart heals soon. Sending you big Newfie hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry for your loss! This brought me almost to tears. I can't imagine how it would feel.
    R.I.P Mikey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry for you loss. Sending lots and lots of hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. .,oh so sorry for the loss. I know how it feels. We're sending you our prayers.

    Dog Fence, Electric Dog Fence for Any sze yard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no..I'm so so sorry. What a handsome boy. It seems he had a great life with you

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry about Mikey. I'm sure that your heart is feeling broken... but I'm glad that you had many years to love him. We are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can you please present more data on this subject? I'm clearly looking for more details about this. By the way, your blog is great. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...