Friday, January 10, 2014

Farm Girl Fridays ✫ #7 - My Introduction to Pot Bellied Pigs


  It has been about a week since I brought Miss Piggy home and I am thoroughly enjoying her presence in the barn.  She is fairly friendly although a little shy, really talkative and makes me laugh on the daily.



 So far I have learnt the following about my pot bellied big;

  • Straw is needed in a big pile for burrowing.  Miss Piggy likes her straw pile in the corner.  She nests in there throughout the day and night.  She also has a sleeping bag over top she can curl into for extra warmth.
  • She does not get cold even at -15.  She is very warm to the touch.
  • She wags her tail when she is happy, i.e. eating :)
  • She comes out when you call her.
  • She drinks water like a horse.
  • She makes grunting noises when she eats, drinks, or wants attention.
  • Miss Piggy has a spot where she goes to the bathroom.  She never goes anywhere else.  Her stall takes under two minutes to clean.
  • She does not smell contrary to what many people were thinking.
  • She eats almost anything, but she doesn't like orange peels.
  • She likes to use many things as scratching posts.
  • She can twerk. Video below (LOL)


  This is all new territory for me so I am just sharing what I have observed and will continue to do so along the way.  I have found there isn't a lot of information about Pot Bellied pigs online that involves hands on experience so hopefully I will be able to offer it to anyone looking. 






This is part of the Farm Girl Friday Blog Hop hosted by deborah jean's DANDELION house!

14 comments:

  1. I love pigs, never had a potbelly but have had the good fortune to raise the meat varieties for FFA. They are wonderful creatures, smart like a dog, clean as can be, friendly and they bark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my cute!!! My friend where I board wants a pig. After seeing them at the county fair, I was kinda grossed out. But I think IO love your pig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is way more fun than I imagined.

      Delete
  3. This is really cool. I love Miss Piggy! Wish I had a place for a pig, I would not want one in the house full time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no me neither...she is perfect in the barn!

      Delete
  4. She's actually super cute. I love the twerking, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever read the 7 MSN Ranch blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry got cut off, Carson at the 7 MSN has a potbellied piggie named Wynonna and she posts frequently about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do follow her blog! I love it :|). The only pig knowledge I have is from that blog lol

      Delete
  7. I look forward to reading all about Miss Piggy and her adventures. I'd like a few pasture pigs myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Modern gadgets such as laptop and i-phone are superb that allow you to do online shopping of stable mats from anywhere. Isn't a great idea to fulfill the main aim, of course yes!

    Bryan johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My love from pigs comes from my grandmother and father who had some on their farm. I just want to scratch her behind her ears!

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...