You may have seen some news floating around - that my friends and I are planning a trip down to Kentucky next year - and no not for Rolex (although we are going there too :) ). I have for years, and I mean YEARS wanted to head to Kentucky to compete in the Midsouth Three Day Challenge. Originally, I wanted to take my old event horse and do the Long Format Three day. Then when I had Archie I wanted to take him in the Training Three Day if we ever made it to Training Level. Now, with Penny, I want to take her to the Long Format Three day!
A while back I had talked about it with some friends. We thought about how fun it would be to make a team and head down. Then, just a few months ago after the 2014 Midsouth Challenge ended, we started talking more seriously and decided that 2015 would be our year. There are 4 of us, all with horses at relatively the same level. We talked about options and decided the best bet would be to aim for Beginner Novice as a team - since we are all comfortable there and it's an achievable goal for the group.
Then, we started to get some ideas. Why not do some fundraising to help with the cost? Why not touch base with some media outlets and see if we can make something of this? A bunch of adult amateurs trying to cross something exciting of their bucket list? With the four of us brainstorming surely we could come up with some ideas! All that we needed was a name.... I couldn't help but think of this CoTH thread and thus - the Weenie Eventers were born!
Team members include myself - on either Parker or William, Dana on Archie - Dana has never evented, just Short Courses, and Archie has evented 3 seasons up to Pre Training successfully. Katie (whom I bought Penny and Dirk from) and her OTTB mare Bella - who has evented Pre Training, and Erica and her mare Destiny - who have successfully competed at Entry level.
We have set up a Go Fund Me Page here - Send Weenie Eventers to Midsouth!, where we can accept monetary donations. The first fundraiser we are doing is a Silent auction on Facebook - and we have had some FABULOUS donations so far. This auction is going to have some seriously nice horse and non horsey things at rock bottom prices! Some of the items and their sponsors include:
1. Island Sea Glass Designs- 5 handmade pendants and chains, framed piece of seaglass art,2 seaglass/driftwood mobiles (total retail $230) https://www.facebook.com/
2. Taylor Made Photography -One hour photo session, 20 free photos of your choice on a CD with the option to purchase more. Belleville area.https://www.facebook.com/pages/
3. Jonathan Taylor Farrier Services - 1 trim ($35 value). Northumberland/Quinte area.a Rafflecopter giveaway
4. Canadian Saddlery- 2 lightweight turnout blankets (retail $174.99 each), 2 Equisan H (retail $59.99 each), 2 Cornucrescine Hoof Dressing (24.95), 2 Ease Up (retail $39.99 each) www.canadiansaddlery.com
5. Rebecca Brown - 1 centered riding lesson
6. Dana Glass- Herbs for Horses Serenity supplement, Bobbys dressage bridle
7. Tori Myers- 2 schooling sessions at Catori Lane Stables, 2 entries to Catori Lane Stables Short Course www.catorilane.weebly.com
8. Katie Buxton- Ariat Pro Circuit show breeches, blue short sleeve short shirt
9. Erica Cobb- Ariat black cowboy boots
10. Matthew's Auto- TBD
11. PJ's Custom Embroidery- TBD http://
12. Kyla Ludlow- 2 blankets, bucket, jump stacks, saddle pad, 2 crops, purple gloves, bell boots, halter, 4 set of Professional Choice Boots
13. Wilton Tack- Gift Certificates www.wiltontack.com
14. Countrified Design- Christmas Ornaments https://www.facebook.com/
15. If The Bonnet Fits- fly bonnet https://www.facebook.com/
16. Unbridled Charms- Brow band and bracelet https://www.facebook.com/
17. Lisa McGowan- StayOns Products
18. Tannery Lane Tack- 2015 Elise Genest ArtsCalendartannerylane.webs.com/
19. Painted Flanks- horse bum Xmas tree ornaments https://www.facebook.com/
20. Back On Track- quick wraps (retail $89.99) www.backontrack.com
21. Carly (Tori's sister)- Equine Super Diet retail $70
22. Horse Sport Mag- 1 year subscription and ball cap (total retail $50)www.horse-canada.com/
23. Courtyard Marriott Hotel- two 1 night stays http://courtyard.marriott.com/
24. April Clay - 3 ebooks "Riding Out of Your Mind"http://www.bodymindmotion.com/
25. Greenhawk Stirling- Hurtta Cooling Dog Coat (retail $59.99), 2 pony size quarter sheets (retail $39.95 each), Kerrits Crossover Full Seat Breech (retail $159.95), Horse paint-by-number www.greenhawk.com
26. Tim Horton's- gift set of 2 mugs and box of Orange Pekoe tea
27. Peterborough Tack- TBD
28. Greenhawk Peterborough - Elation Supasoft boot socks (retail $10.99) & size 6 Thinsulate Winter riding mittens (retail $26.99)
29. MacDougall Insurance - 4 Belleville Bulls tickets (retail approx $80 total)
30. Durham Farmers County Co-op - two bottle of EQyss MicroTek anti fungal shampoo (retail $32.99) and two packages of Carr Day & Martin Under the Tail Wipe (retail $11.99)
31. Miron Valley Stables- 1 private riding lesson (value $48)www.mironvalleystable.caNR 32. Tropical Gardens Pet Shop, Belleville Ontario - owner to donate assorted gift basket, gift card or aquarium
33. Alicia Macdonald - 17' Brown, Wintec Western Saddle with saddle pad
So - you can see how awesome this is going to be! I know some might not agree with asking for funding for our trip - but it is a way for us to make this dream more achievable. For those who donate and sponsor - we appreciate it SO much! For those who choose not to - your emotional support is just as nice!
In order to spread the word, and get our awesome sponsors as much bang for their buck as possible, I am giving away a set of Back on Track Royal Quick Wraps - from Greenhawk! This is a $90 value, and invaluable to your horses legs. We all know and love Back on Track products, and here is chance to get grabby hands on some for yourself, or maybe you can gift them to someone you love during the Holidays!
To enter is simple - First - you must follow my blog - A Filly's Best Friend. Please comment on how you follow - Bloglovin', e-mail, Google, etc. Then enter the Rafflecopter and follow the instructions! The more you share, the more chances you have to win! Some options are mandatory. Contest starts today - and ends when the auction ends - December 10th 2014. Contest open to WORLDWIDE entrants! Winner will be picked by random generation through Rafflecopter.
I will be posting regular updates from the Team and Sponsors on the blog. There has already been a lot happening so I will have to do some catch up posts. To say we have received an overwhelming amount of support is an understatement. There is a lot for us to be excited about this year and we reach towards our goal of competing at Midsouth.
Thanks for reading - and Good Luck!
Sincerly, The Weenie Eventers!