Thursday, January 29, 2015

William Won Something


    In the drama of injuring myself and laughing about it for a few days, now wallowing in the painful bed I made myself, I forgot to blog about the awards banquet my man and I attended on Saturday night.  It was the annual National Capitol Horse Trials Association awards dinner and ceremony.  The NCHTA is an association who offers series of awards for events in the Eastern Ontario and Quebec region.  Since eventing is relatively small on this side of the province, they are making an effort to expand interest and reward those who are out competing and might not be able to make it to the events on the other side of the province.  They do an excellent job.

  I try to go every year to support but I didn't make it last year.  This year I was definitely going because William won an award!  Although we only completed two events in this region (3 total in Ontario), we placed 1st and 2nd in a large classes so we had enough points to tie us for second place in the Pre Entry Open division.  I won a nice plaque with our names and winning on it - except they mistakenly ordered mine showing Third place (which they emailed me about prior) so I left it with them to have corrected and mailed out to me.

  This might seem like peanuts to some riders but this is a huge deal to me and William.  Three years ago when I took him home I wasn't sure if I would even be able to take this horse out and ride him.  For two years I really questioned my skill and sanity in whether this horse would ever amount to anything.  I wrote his "giveaway" ad in my head more times than I can count.  He was barely touchable without jumping out of skin.  He wouldn't get on a trailer and once on wouldn't stay in.  You couldn't get him to even move under saddle and when he did he spent the entire time trying to buck you off.  We made progress and then we took 5 steps back, several times. 

   Through those years though, I never gave up.  I don't know why.  I probably should have.  When I dreaded getting on him, I pushed myself through it.  When I was terrified to trailer him, I trailered him every few days with help to get through it.  When I hit the dirt, I got back on, every time and rode him until my nerves were gone.  I don't know what it is, but I love this horse so much.  His deep red face and his kind personality kept drawing me back to him. Not letting me quit.  There is something about William that I just can't explain.  He is a special soul and I am so glad I never gave up through these last few years, although they were tough.

  This award is not for me, but for William.  He is worth all the hard work, and now he has truly earned his place here on the farm.  So congrats to William, and here's to many more in our future!






31 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It is always extra nice to get an award with a horse that has been a stuggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly helps keep you motivated!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! And Congratulations
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a touching tribute to what has become a wonderful partnership. I am sure this will be the first of many awards with William.
    Hope the leg is healing well *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations - you both deserve it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! What a great tribute to William and to your perseverance :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations!!! what a wonderful journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!!! That's such an awesome tribute to him and yourself for sticking by him. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! I remember reading about all your troubles getting him going, and it's so cool to see him out and about being a pro now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he's still a bit of a dink, but at least a dink that's doing something! hahaha

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for posting this. I'm currently struggling with my mare - who I love - because she can be so unruly and because she often doesn't have any forward. Your experience is inspiring to me!

    And huge congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have never in my life thought a horse was impossible until I met this one, but if he can be brought up to be something, any horse can. Best of luck with your mare.

      Delete
  10. Congrats! Hearing what you've been through with William, and how well you've progressed, give me hope and encouragement to persevere with Gracie! She's not quite the challenge he has been, but I'm not quite the rider you are, either, haha...so maybe it sort of balances out. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! Bring Gracie down sometime in the summer :)

      Delete
  11. That's seriously awesome, congrats!! I'd be stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats!! Hope your leg is continuing to heal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. address and payment information. Send. It’s a virtual soldes salomon chaussure myopian/hyperopian/presbyopian Tea Party, led largely by Minnesota software engineer Ira Mitchell, who launched his revolutionary Salomon Speedcross 3 Pas Cher  GlassyEyes blog (its motto is “ Saving the World from Overpriced Glasses!”) in 2006. Packed with forums, product reviews, discount deals, chaussure salomon pas cher and tips for buying specs online, it’s the vision-impaired version of Yelp.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...