Thank you everyone who read and commented on my last post about William, both on and off the blog. Really interesting to hear others opinions on what it may be, or what route you may take if you were in my shoes. William isn't going anywhere, so it's not exactly a huge pressing thing to me - just more of a concern for his happiness and comfort. The reason I find it a tough choice is because of having multiple horses - I have to choose where I spend my time and money wisely. Obviously I love all my horses and none are more important than the other - but I just don't think William would care that much if he became a pasture puff. He is comfortable when he is not being ridden at the very least, that I am sure of. I am trying to get one horse to the upper levels, and have to be sure not too waste my resources and time on something that won't transpire. I at least have the luxury of keeping my horses pampered, even if they don't have a job.
From here, my course of action will be;
- Put him into light work once the snow flies. See if there is an improvement from last year.
- Do another treatment of Ugard (or equal ulcer meds)
- Chiro and acupuncture in early April.
- Full vet evaluation in May (what can be done on the farm) - asses how he is going under saddle and decide on whether to pursue further options - like scintigraphy or back x rays.
Another option may be sending him to my friend Danas for the summer. Since she sold her mare Quartz, she now has 2 horses at home. As she will be competing Archie quite a bit this summer, she doesn't want to leave her old guy Bud, home alone all day. This situation could benefit us both, and give William some more time off if he needs it. For now, I am going to take it one day at a time and see where we are at in May.
Thank you again for your thoughts and kind wishes. It's so nice to have the blogging community to lean on when you need it.