Friday, July 21, 2017

A Day All About The Ponies


    Yesterday was farrier and vet day for the ponies.  Penny and Indy both had a reset and Valley had a trim. Penny did the rare and special move of twisting her back shoe last week so I took it off when I noticed the night she came in with it.  No harm was done though, her feet are looking better than ever.  Indy's feet are looking great too.  They are massive though, for a Thoroughbred.  I swear they weigh like 15lbs each.  It's really super fun to cork this horse at events (not) LOL.  He took a bit more off the toes to hopefully help with his forging.  He pretty much always over reaches, still need to learn how to move those front legs out of the way quicker. Big ol sherman tank legs.

practicing my Breyer horse face




 Valley was of course a perfect angel to do.  Her feet which were rather flat before are now starting to grow up and gain some heel. Yay!  She is such a good girl, every day she just amazes me with how quiet and willing she is. She stood completely still for the farrier like she has done it all her life.  Good baby horse.

 After the farrier left I waited for the vet who was doing part 2 of the horses annual vaccs.  I also opted to try putting Indy on some injectable Polyglycan after discussing the benefits with my dressage coach and vet.  Although Indy is perfectly sound and comfortable, this product is said to help lubricate the joints without having to inject them.  It also has the ability to go wherever needed in the horse, so if his knees need it he will benefit there.  Indy also suffers from sleep deprivation at times, so at night he is always fully bandaged but he still sometimes falls on his knees.  He has been a lot better since being at the new place, but there are still days on end when he doesn't lay down to sleep.  I am hoping this will help keep his legs healthy and feeling good into his teen years.  After racing 77 times, I think he deserves a little lube in the joints.

mad because I wouldn't let him bite me

Miss perfect Valley Rocana

  Poor Penny was terrified to get her needle.  After being sick last year and then getting her mouth worked on a lot last month, she took one look at the vet and hid in the corner of her stall.  When we went in she tried to hide behind her haynet and got her head stuck in it LOL.  Thankfully my vet is so great with the horses.  She just gave her some soft pats and talked to her and then she stood for her needle.  After Penny was like "oh, that's it?".  It was pretty comical.  Indy and Valley were both standard track horses getting their needles, didn't even flinch.  The vet was in and out in ten minutes.


baby horse too tall to see Indy

  After the morning of pampering the ponies (or torturing depending if you are talking to me or them), we had a good rain shower so I turned them out for the day sans fly sheets.  A beautiful warm rainy day to be naked.  The rain didn't last too long though, so fly sheets were back on and then I got the text from my mom that we were in fact, doing hay tonight. OH JOYS.  The bad news is I had to do hay for the second day in a row.  The good news is my mom gave me a truck load of hay for helping her. Yay!

this is like, 1/8th of what we did

a classy bunch

  The horses have today off, tomorrow I take Penny for a jump lesson at 9 and then cross country schooling with Indy in the afternoon.  Should be a fun day with the redheads.

12 comments:

  1. Loving all of these updates. You will have to formally introduce us all to Valley :) (Unless I missed that post lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about Poly for Hampton, too. My vet REALLY likes it haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah my dressage Coach had nothing but good things to say.

      Delete
  3. Ooh have fun with all the lessons! And good luck with those feet transformations. My giant tb forged a ton too but working on his hooves (and his general strength and way of going) has helped a lot

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see you back and stronger than ever before! Like a boss is right, you got this girl! Glad you are enjoying your lessons and still empowering your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course Valley Girl stood like she's done it all her life. She *has* done it all her life! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha well she hasn't had a very long life so I will continue to think she is special ahahha

      Delete
  6. Valley sounds like my horse - a bit of an old soul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is right up your alley, I know you like em big! lol

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...